Since starting at CSNN one thing I know for sure that I have learned is that we can all use more probiotics! If you have ever taken a second to check out supplemental probiotics at a health food store, or even at the grocery store, you are probably shocked at the price! I started brewing Kombucha, a sparkling fermented probiotics tea after learning how simple (and tasty!) the outcome is.
I drink about 8oz each day, and on days where I miss it, I can feel a difference. Kombucha is a tonic and has therapeutic properties. If you’re not used to it, please start out drinking around 3 or 4oz and work your way up, there’s not much need to be consuming far more than 8oz a day, but do what works for your body, as always.
Here are my ratios:
8 cups of water = 4 tea bags = 1 cup of starter tea
Basic steps for Brewing Kombucha (for information on how much water/tea/sugar to use, refer to this site, it is manning!)
1. Boil your filtered water and add in sugar. Mix to dissolve. Add in tea, let steep for 10 minutes, or over night (watch out for bitterness).
2. Let your sweetened tea fully cool. Hot water/tea will kill the SCOBY.
3. Add the SCOBY, starter tea, and cooled sweetened tea to your large glass jar.
4. Fasten on your cover with the rubber band.
5. Let this sit at room temperature undisturbed for 5-10 days, tasting occasionally to determine your desired level of sweetness/sourness, I usually go for 7-10 days.
I use a combination of black and green tea, I buy organic brands online or from Costco. I also use organic white cane sugar, it works best and it is what I recommended. For more information on the kinds of teas and sugar that can and cannot be used to brew kombucha, check out this site!
Once you finish brewing your Kombucha, you can add flavours to it and make it fizzy! More on that in a future post, for now, go brew kombucha!
Do you brew your own kombucha? Would you give it a try, or is the SCOBY just too creepy?
Amanda is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist out of Southwest Middlesex, and London ON. She works with clients to help them achieve their health and wellness goals!
Follow me on Instagram!